As mentioned in a previous article, 2015 saw record numbers of tourists hitting the beaches and towns around Spain. The tourists, however, are not the only ones still hitting Spain in large numbers; the figures for 2015 property transfers also show an increase hinting that buyer confidence is on the increase and property sales are once again on the up.
In the annual figures released by the INE (Instituto Nacional de Estadísticas) Spain registered a 4.6% increase in property transfers for the year 2015, over the previous year, with a total of 1,634,670 transfers.
This breaks down as follows:
- 378,630 Rustic Properties
- 716,835 Urban Dwellings
- 69,457 Urban Plots
- 469,748 Other Urban Properties
Of the total property transfers 753.598 were from purchases, representing an increase of 8.1% over the previous year.
In terms of the type of property purchased, 83.2% corresponded to urban properties, an increase of 8.4%, and 16.8% to rustic property, an increase of 6.5%.
Of the total, 22% of property sales were for new buildings while resale properties made up the remaining 78%. For new homes this represents a decrease of 33.7%, while used property sales increased by 37.2%, compared to 2014.
As expected, Andalucia leads the way in terms of numbers registering 272,000 property transfers in 2015, an increase of 8.7% over 2014. They were followed close behind by Cataluña with 229,463 (a 3.25% increase) and Valencia with 209,819 sales, an increase of 4.2% over 2014.
The only region to record a negative annual variation was Castilla – La Mancha, which recorded only 103,776 transfers of deed, a variation of -0.8% compared to 2014.
The largest gain was in La Rioja, which, while only registering 20,015 transfers, achieved an increase over 2014 of 18%.
When looking at total propertiers sold the winning region was País Vasco with 13,770 sales which represents a massive 17.2% increase over 2014. On this measure Andalucia still did very well registering 70,739 sales, a 10.6% increase, while Cataluña and Valencia also did well recording increases of 14% and 11.3% respectively.
You can see the full report here.